Friday 15 May 2015

Goat Simulator (Xbox One) - Review

Goat Simulator is available now on the Xbox One priced at £7.99.

I remember when I first heard about Goat Simulator when it came out on PC. I honestly thought the person who told me was taking the piss, until I saw it on the shelves at my local Tesco. I know simulation games offer a LOT of variation, but GOATS? Really?!
Then for months it seemed, we heard about how hilarious it was. It was a game that didn't take itself too seriously and actually embraced the fact that it was completely mental. In the game you control a goat, obviously. This goat has a huge tongue that is permanently sticking out of the goats mouth. Licking things can cause them to explode, or at the very least allow you to hurl them across the map, which is filled with things for you to have plenty of goaty fun with. So yeah, this game REALLY doesn't take itself too seriously.

It has now made the seemingly inevitable jump to consoles. This has seen developers Coffee Stain Studios embrace the mentality of the game even more, with them admitting to it being glitchy as all hell. They wanted it to be that way, after hearing about some of the hilarious glitches in the game they set out to NOT repair them for the console release. Indeed, when you load the game you are told that the goat may sometimes glitch (or words to that affect) so they have put a respawn function in the menu.

Now to my actual review. Graphically, it isn't going to win any awards, but it'll do nicely. The soundbites are actually pretty scary sometimes, a random person shouting something about goats when you're playing using a headset at night is less than ideal. There isn't much to do in the game, but I think that's kinda the point. There are some objectives which I mostly cannot do if I am honest. But I think the point of this game was just to provide a big playground for you to fulfil all your goat fantasies out in. And if that's the case, it does it tremendously.

I am not a fan of the game if I am honest, it's just a little too silly for my liking. Luckily I have a very silly six year old son, so I handed the controller to him for a few hours and watched him howl with laughter to complete my review. If you have a daft sense of humour, or kids, then you should definitely pick up this game. I cannot honestly remember the last game that made my son laugh so much. And I bought that horrendous Rabbid game...

6/10 TRY IT!
A code was provided for the purpose of this review. 

No comments:

Post a Comment